Project - Transcriptomics in Neurodegenerative Disease
Research Project Abstract
Study of transceiptomics (mRNAs, long ncRNAs, small ncRNAs) and their targets to provide insight into their crucial role and offer approaches for the treatment of Neurodegenerative Diseases (NDs). This is possible through analysing sequencing data provided by deep sequencing techniques. The project is expected to be funded: 2020- 2023.
Research Project Description
So far there are no effective biomarkers for monitoring Neurodegenerative Diseases (NDs) and their progression. My research focuses on the identification and characterization of genetic variation and transcriptional changes connected with different pathways that will identify the pathogenesis of AD, PD, FTD, and ALS, providing information on their role/s in NDs and the potential for disease and stage specific diagnostic biomarkers for each condition.
AD, PD, FTD, ALS, Dementia, Ageing
Aims and Objectives:
For this purpose, I will access the short read archive (SRA) to determine predictive NDs genetic variants and their biological function and protein interactions.
- Metadata and Sample query
- Quality control and trimming process
- Mapping all sequences to transcriptome using Kallisto
- Prediction of alternative splicing events using SUPPA2
- Prediction of RNAs being differentially expressed Using Different R Bioconductor packages
- Prediction of novel biomarkers using machine learning approaches